As a graduate student it is important that you know your own strengths and weaknesses.You may ask why? Here are some reasons:
- Knowing your strengths and writing it down means that you are taking ownership. It builds self esteem. But be realistic though. If you write down that you are great speaker and you are not, then there is a mismatch between your self assessment and reality.
- Knowing your weaknesses means that you are willing to admit it and then you have a chance to convert weaknesses to strengths.
- Review your strengths and weaknesses periodically to see if you are moving some of your weaknesses to strengths. Graduate school is a great place to make these positive moves.
- Let’s not forget the opportunities that you have. Do you know that there are numerous opportunities and funding available for you to network, travel, and learn from experts. Ask what opportunities are available. Travel, network, present a paper and the possibilities are endless.
- Know the threats that you may have that prevent you from completing a degree. Learn how to mitigate them the best you can.
The best place to start is an honest assessment and then chip away to make progress towards your goals.